Author Topic: Memory Utilization  (Read 17517 times)

tboggs13

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Email
Memory Utilization
« on: September 11, 2008, 08:12:31 PM »
So, I have a 4gb database file now and I kicked off a backup. It took about 90 minutes to complete the backup. The temp file was about 1.4gb in size and the GZ file was 158mb.

During the entire process, bill.exe only consumed 19mb of system memory and 9mb of virtual memory. There is over 700mb of system memory free. Considering how slow CAM is, wouldn't it benefit from using more system memory? If I give it 2gb of system memory, will it actually use more? It doesn't seem like it based on this performance.

It seem like CAM is trying to manipulate 4gb of data with only 18mb of system memory - no wonder it is slow. Also, it actually performs very little disk IO while it is working on reports and other non-backup functions.

Is there a setting I can tweak to get it to use more memory to improve performance? Or am I missing something?

D.stype

• qwert
  • Offline Offline
    • ICQ Messenger - 255878435
    • View Profile
    • qwert
Memory Utilization
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »
i have find the way..can somone sticky this?

BlackDove says: no, there is a more popular thread / tutorial discussing the memory method.

tboggs13

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Memory Utilization
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:17:40 PM »
Perhaps BlackDove could provide a link to the discussion about memory? I did a search and only found this thread and one other. The other thread just stated that a larger database requires more memory. Which based on what I posted here in 2008, CAM does not appear to take advantage of more memory.

What we need to know is if there are ways to improve performance without eliminating call records.

tboggs13

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Memory Utilization
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »
So it seems that CAM does not use very many system resources. This is good if you are using it on a workstation. However, if you are using it on a dedicated server and need to run large reports or process a large amount of data, it makes it very slow. I am currently importing some old smdr logs to rebuild data. It is processing about 140 calls a minute. You would think that this would be an intensive proces. But as I watch in task manager, Bill.exe only uses about 2-5% of the CPU and has only consumed 82mb of memory. I can only imagine if it would use more processor that data would get processed more quickly.