Author Topic: Use of assigning trunks to departments?  (Read 9572 times)

randomandy

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Use of assigning trunks to departments?
« on: September 17, 2005, 05:13:37 PM »
I've assigned line names to each of my trunks and also assigned them each to a department. Of what use is it to assign a trunk to a department? The only reports groupings by trunks that I can find are based on the department the individual extension belongs to, -not- which trunk is being used. All the trunk reports are mere listings sorted by trunk but not summarized.

Our users answer calls for multiple deparments. We use PRI so we are mainly interested in the incoming number they dialed to reach us and would like statistics on that. I haven't figured out how.

Can tell me what to try?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 05:18:32 PM by randomandy »

randomandy

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Ok Found the answer
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 06:51:33 AM »
I finally found the answer in the docs where it describes the meaning of "Department" value of Settings -> Line Numbers:
Department.
This field allows you to select which department owns the CO line. This information is used to build Daily
Report by Department and Monthly Report by Department from Statistic section on Reports/List page. In these
reports calls are grouped by department basing not on user extension reported by a PBX, but on CO line
information and relations between lines and departments defined in this table.
So, when you do a Statistics->Report by Department, the Department value is derived from the "Line Numbers" (CO) table.
This is in contrast to when you do a "Department Report", where the Department value is instead derived from the "Department/Users" (Extensions) table.
Because of the almost identical names, that difference wasn't easy to spot right away.

sergey

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Use of assigning trunks to departments?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 12:27:46 AM »
Thanks for the posting!

The only place where the assigment of CO/Trunk line to a department is used is reports from Reports/List/Statistics section. Those are Daily Report by Department and Monthly Report by Department. These reports use CO/Trunk line to get deparment, which made the call.